HISTORY OF GRANTS PASS AMERICAN LEGION BASEBALL
The first organized youth baseball program originated in 1947 and was supervised by the City of Grants Pass Parks and Recreation department.
The Junior American Legion Baseball program was first coached by Tuffy Keith, and the team was known as the Bell Motors team.
Originally, the District-4 League consisted of Grants Pass, Medford, Roseburg, and Dallas. In 1957 the league expanded with the addition of Central Point, Klamath Falls, and Lakeview.
During this time the team was sponsored by Mock Ford and the nickname was the Broncos. Games were played at Grants Pass High School.
In 1969 a new field was built known as ‘Agnew-Lytle Field’ and it was located on property donated by the Agnew Corp., doing business as Agnew Plywood, and headed by President Dick Lytle, who also owned Gold River Distributing, a local beverage supplier.
Today, the former Agnew-Lytle Field is now part of the Grants Pass Parkway overpass just south of the Grants Pass Shopping Center.
It served as home to the Babe Ruth and Legion programs until 1989. Until 1997, teams played their games at Grants Pass High School, and North Valley High School.
In 1993, led by John Reinhart, and Rick Chapman, and several other community members, the Riverside West All-Sports Park opened and was turned over to the City of Grants Pass on August 2, 1993.
Today, it is known as the 'Reinhart Volunteer All-Sports Park.'
For many years, Mock Ford and Pete Mock sponsored the team known as the ‘Grants Pass Mock Ford Broncos’ until 1981.
Gold River Distributing and Dick Lytle then sponsored the team which became known as the ‘Grants Pass Nuggets.’
Gold River was sold years later, but the team continues to be known today as ‘The Nuggets.’